alrighty folks. so today was EXTREMELY miserable for me. I woke up around 7:50 because my puppy pounced on me and I was not about that, so I promptly went back to bed. or I attempted to go back to bed because my sinus problems decided to hit me. right there in my place of comfort! how dare they! anyways, I fell into that sleep/awake cycle where it was awful and my thoughts were like “elle, just wake up and smell the roses.” and I got a massive headache and my nose was drippy, yet somehow I fell back asleep. only to be awakened by my 12-year-old sibling yelling at me to wake up because it’s 10 o clock. yeah, not fun. so I took some good old Mucinex and name brand allergy pills and went on my merry way. HOWEVER, today they so totally sucked as I am still sniffling. I have resorted to that awful habit of wiping my nose with my shirt (which is disgusting by the way). oops just did it again like a second ago. point is, sometimes the things meant to give you comfort and a relatively relaxing day, don’t. that is apparently the fact of the matter and I’m not cool with it. so I’ve compiled a list of trusty, fail-safe, and consistent ways to relax in a situation where you really need it. aka. finals week, flu/cold, period, any stressful situation. enjoy!
- hot tea-lol this is so cliche, but trust me, this crap works. just the idea of sitting down in a large, plushy chair relaxing with your puppy/cat and sipping on a preferred tea is literally so aesthetically pleasing I almost die when I imagine it. not really, that was a hyperbole but you get my point. however, it is also a placebo. because when you imagine it, you imagine comfort embedded in it. and you know how placebos work, plus if you don’t google it. I’m not smart enough to explain it. moving on.
- hot bath-throw in some table salt (sea or Epsom actually), light a yummy-smelling candle, put on the sound of raindrops (actually, don’t do this. WARNING: you will fall asleep. play indie music. or any for that matter) and watch your stress swirl down the drain. I have no idea if this is proven to work but if Pinterest, Tumblr, and I aren’t sources of trust enough, then okay I understand. For one, you don’t know me (plus this is my second post, gotta prove myself) also don’t believe the media. they tell lies. but, who doesn’t love a good WARM bath? don’t do hot, I promise you will sweat. it is not fun.
- working out- okay, okay. I realize some people are not into working out. and if you aren’t, that is cool skip to numero four. but if working out is fun for you, I encourage you to work out. it does not have to be intense or something. just go for a walk with your dog/cat, go on a light jog, search up a yoga video (yoga is hard by the way), and your stress will be relieved for a time. also, this works super well when you’re on your period (ew gross, TMI) because your muscles will be relaxed leading to less painful cramping. I have no idea if this will work for you, it works for me and I love it.
- spa day!- so I realize not everyone is rich and can afford manis and pedis, so the solution is super easy spa stuff! if you can move your hand, you can paint at least your non-dominant hand. if you don’t have nail polish I am sorry I cannot help. but if you have the average food items in your pantry. I may!
Oatmeal Face Mask-
- Mix 1/2 cup of hot water (not boiling) with 1/3 cup of oatmeal. After two minutes, mix in 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons of honey, and 1 small egg white. Apply to face and wait 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water. http://www.rd.com
this is just one example, but there are literally bazillions of DIY’s on the internet that do not require a lot of time, fancy ingredients, or a lot of money.
oke doke. that is all I have in the tank. I hope you are gaining a general basis of what I’m suggesting. I hope you are picking up what I’m putting down. notice, however, that I did not say binge watch Netflix and vedge. if you feel like me, miserable and headache-prone, I do not suggest a screen. typing this is giving me a headache in itself. also, vedging out, while it may feel awesome at the time, will just give you a massive stomachache and leave you feeling bloated and gross. not that I don’t vedge, I just don’t suggest it when you are feeling particularly awful. I really hope you all enjoyed this immensely because I had fun splurging about it (is that a word?). anyways hang loose mis amigos.
until the next square dance,
Elle aka. Drowsy